The main areas of general electrical maintenance commonly includes the checkup and maintenance of electrical enclosures, outlets, insulators, supports, connectors, conductors, circuit breakers, cables and buses, transformers, surge protectors and arrestors, generators, UPS systems, electric motors and lighting systems. These supply sources are checked for structural integrity as well as internal stability. The purpose of these periodic assessments is to fix small problems before they worsen into large ones.
Here are some pointers to consider:
1. Maintenance crew must ensure that all enclosure panels, doors, and structures are well-maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications.
2. During de-energized maintenance, electrical enclosures are to be vacuum cleaned of all loose dirt and debris. But the use of compressed air is not recommended since this may cause foreign particles to become embedded in the insulation or damage insulators.
3. Any buildup of dirt or other contaminants that will not come off with vacuuming should be cleaned with lint free rags using cleaning solvents recommended by the manufacturer.
4. Inspect cables, insulators and conductor supports for signs of cracking, broken pieces, and other physical damage or deterioration.
5. Electrical generators, switches andcircuit breakersare regularly checked for solid connections and intact wiring. If fault are discovered, electricians normally repair the wiring.
6. With regards to power transformers, transformer's data such as, voltage, current, and temperature readings should be recorded on a regular basis in order to determine operating conditions of the transformer.
7. Peak or redline indicators should be recorded and reset. Readings taken on a weekly basis can provide important information about the loading of the transformer that is needed before additional loads can be added to the transformer.
During the preventive electrical maintenance, if there is any specific area of concern that arises, the electrical maintenance crew may use specialized testing methods and equipment to handle the problem properly. Also, make available of your building's blueprints, specifications, wiring and equipment diagrams so that the maintenance crew in-charge can inspect all the necessary areas and this can be a very helpful aid in efficient and more effective diagnosing and troubleshooting. And make sure that task must be performed by licensed professionals in this field. You can refer to a more detailed manual for preventive electrical maintenance to ensure that nothing will be neglected and everything will be taken care of. The only purpose of this article is to make you aware of the importance of preventive electrical maintenance and to give you some pointers that needed to be addressed.