In a diaper bag, what is critically essential to the baby and of course you?
1. Diapers As the name carries, you shall have adequate quantity of diapers in your diaper bag, Depending on the diapering needs which varies from one baby to another, you should have at least one piece of diaper per every single hour of your outing. The quantity is also subjected to the duration of planned journey and baby's sanitary habit. It is definitely advisable for you to bring extra diapers in the trunk of your car, to replenish the stock which you can never carry all in your diaper bag.
2. Baby Wipes It can be used to clean baby's bottoms, dirty spills, wipe off baby belongings, strollers, seats and many things else. This little wipe could always be your secret weapon in ensuring a wonderful family outing. Instead of carrying a large container with full of bulky baby wipes inside, just put some in a plastic Zip lock bag or plastic container. This could complement your need while you clean up your babies.
3. Changing Pad It turns to be a popular feature that provided along with diaper bag nowadays. For the sake of baby hygiene that you shall never compromise, you must constantly (not seasonally) carry along the changing pad which the baby can recognized easily. This could create a friendly environment to speed up the changing process, while keeping the unwanted germs away.
4. Bottles, Water, and Milk Formula Milk Bottles with protected nipple, water (hot and warm) to mix the formula, and of course the very milk formula are all life saver for travellers. You may need to carry extra formula as a contingency plan for a sudden extension of your trip. For older one, you will have to bring their favourite juice along. This must be organized and kept in a safe and tight container (anti-leaked), especially when you are expecting a bumpy journey. Dislike adults, baby has to be fed regularly and there must be no excuses for you to skip the right feeding at the right time.
5. First Aid Supplies Some basic medicines can be carried along, like baby Tylenol and Ibuprofen in combating fever or soreness that may happen anytime during your rush-hour or right at the midnight. A pain reliever can also make a lot of difference while you are heading nowhere to seek for a medical consultation. Diaper rash cream is also of great help as such rash could appear and spread quickly, resulting an uncomfortable covering on your baby. Things like this are truly uncommon that a parent could not simply find one in the mini-mart of a remotely located petrol kiosk. Another important item that you must not forget is the baby ear thermometer which is the best way to monitor the physical health of your baby.
6. Clothes Always prepare extra shirts, pants and socks just in case your baby throw up a lot which most parents will not be signalled up front. You will never know what will be happened next, as baby often spits up especially during travelling and will create a great mess during the outing. Sometimes, extra shirts have to be prepared for parents at best even though you are trying hard to handle with extra care.
7. Towels Washing facilities may not easily accessible and available along your journey. You might have to change the baby instantly after the sudden spill but could spend you a whole pack of wipes. A cloth towel is definitely useful and handy to salvage the whole situation.
8. Pacifiers You can store one or two pacifiers in a clean bag to sooth the fussy baby whenever needed. Unless you tie it up with a link, this little thing tends to get lost easily or left behind unintentionally that will make the baby in an undesired mood throughout the remaining journey.
9. Bibs - Babies love to drool, bib is undoubtedly perfect to protect the nice cloth and outfit from any food stain. This simple cushioning design will ease up the cleaning process after the feeding of baby. Without a bib, both you and your baby must be mentally prepared for a change even though the baby has been nicely dressed for the eventful dinner.
10. Plastic Bags These tiny bags can be used to store dirty diapers or soiled clothes in, or baby wipes which need to be isolated from the dry/delicate goodies. You and baby can be peacefully protected from the smelly or dirty stuff that yet to be disposed or cleaned, as well as potential pollutants that stick on it.
11. Toys Favourite and comfort toy could always make the baby happier and keep the baby reasonably occupied. These little toys could play a great role in entertaining your baby (rather than getting bored and impatient) especially when you are travelling on long distance journey. It could also distract the baby's attention when you are about to seek the baby's cooperation in accomplishing certain task, e.g. meal feeding or diaper changing.
12. Phone Directory Keep those important contact numbers right in your diaper bag for emergency contact during unforeseen circumstances, e.g. paediatrician, neighbours, next of kin, employer, siblings, day-care nanny etc.
Last but not least, please remember to display an Identification Tag with all your contact information on the diaper bag, in case you lost your diaper bag halfway.
A parent can always have a longer list, if they fit well in your diaper bag. Depending on the space availability and duration of your planned outing, you can even carry snacks (for both baby and parents), teething ring, hand sanitizer, blanket, nail clipper, parents' belongings (wallet, key, lipstick) and many other non-essential items. But as the baby gets older, the list of needed items will be getting shorter.
Good diaper bag is capable of carrying all essentials in an organized manner, and ultimately bringing your family a good and memorable family outing.